Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Happy Holidays!



I was raised in a Christian household, by a Catholic mother and a Presbyterian father. But my mother had evolved to a point in her spirituality that she didn't let the church dictate her worshiping methods, and my father was basically agnostic.

My parents let me choose my own path from an early age, and I explored the Christian church through my childhood and teens, then branched out to explore Wicca, Buddhism, Taoism and eventually settled into a personal set of Pagan ideals and values.

But in my own home, we still put up a Christmas tree, and my child received gifts from Santa every year growing up. My husband is Jewish, and not at all religious, and he never really cared about how I chose to celebrate the Yule season, so I was free to put up a tree, light the Menorah and combine beliefs to my own desire.

I have always been aware to the fact that December is not just for Christians, and in fact the holidays were celebrated for thousands of years before Christianity began, by Pagan peoples who celebrated Yule, and the Winter Solstice. The season is a festival of Lights as it is the longest period of night through the year, and this is why there are lights on a Christmas tree, why we light a Menorah in the Jewish faith. Each belief system has incorporated Lights into their own celebration and this is again an ancient Pagan ritual of celebrating Light during a dark time of year.

I say Merry Christmas to my Christian friends and family. It does not hurt me to do so. I also wish my Jewish friends and family Happy Hanukkah. I have no trouble saying Happy Kwanzaa, or Blessed Ramadan to people observing those faiths. And it would do me absolutely no harm to say happy Bodhi day or blessed Hogmanay.

Why do we make such a big deal about the words we use??? By saying "Happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" are we killing Christianity? Or are we respecting that not everyone on the planet worships in the same way, nor should we expect them to?

The holidays are a special time to each individual in their own way, and everyone has their own family traditions, and special plans at this time of year. Rather than butt heads about something as ridiculous as a simple two word greeting, just live and let live. Celebrate as you wish to, and let others do the same thing.

We have a long history as a species of hurting one another over our differing beliefs. Millions and millions of people have died throughout our history on this planet simply because they chose to call their beliefs by different names. But ultimately, we all believe in something mysterious - a higher power - doesn't matter what name that being goes by - what matters is that you put your spiritual teachings where your mouth is. Live and let live. Don't cram your beliefs down the throat of others, and yet remain open minded, knowing that God does work through each and every one of us.

No one on Earth knows it all, has all the answers. At best, we are taught what to believe by our parents, family, and society. Remember that, at this time of year when generosity of spirit and peace on Earth are the things we sing about as we gather amongst family and friends and loved ones.

Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, Joyeux Noelle, Blessed Hogmanay.... no matter what you're celebrating, may you be blessed and surrounded by love.





No comments :

Post a Comment

Your feedback is always welcome; please be constructive